Because of the potential impact of fuel cells on the environment and our economy, SAFCell's revolutionary SAFC technology has begun to be noticed by the public, the scientific community, and mass media. Members of the media who wish to interview the scientists at SAFCell should contact us.
SAFCell Press Releases
- World’s first solid acid fuel cell system converts propane to electricity for soldier power
September 24, 2014
- SAFCell Selected for $3.7 Million ARPA-E Award
June 26, 2014
- SAFCell Part of New Lightweight Materials Innovation Consortium
April 21, 2014
- SAFCell to Generate Power for Caltech Solar Toilet
December 10, 2013
- SAFCell wins Patrick Soon-Shiong Innovation Award
November 21, 2013
- SAFCell and UltraCell to Develop Portable Power Unit for Army
June 24, 2013
- First Fuel Cell Investment for Candian IP Fund in Pasadena, CA Based SAFCell, Inc.
August 1, 2012
- Diesel Fuel Cell Project Successfully Completed by Norwegian-Californian Partnership
September 13, 2011
- Successful Delivery of First 1.4 kW Solid Acid Fuel Cell Stack by Norwegian-Californian Partnership
February 23, 2011
- First Step to Kilowatt Solid Acid Fuel Cell Diesel APU Taken by Norwegian-Californian Partnership
August 12, 2010
- Innovations in Fuel Cell Technology and Diesel Fuel Reforming Join Forces to Develop Quieter, Cleaner Power Generation
January 21, 2010
Articles on solid acid technology
The following are links to recent articles written about SAFC technology:
- Solar/Fuel Cell-Powered Caltech-Designed Enviro-Toilet to Debut in India
The Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Letter, February 2014
- Diesel: The Fuel of the Future?
Discovery News, November 9, 2010.
- Cheap Diesel-Powered Fuel Cells
MIT Technology Review, October 21, 2010.
- Running fuel cells on biodiesel
Research Council of Norway, October 10, 2010.
- The Power Behind Cooler, Greener Energy
by Andrew Murr, Newsweek, January 7, 2007.
- New Comer Heats Up the Race for Practical Fuel Cells
by Robert Service, Science, January 2004, vol 303, pg 29.
- The promise of Protonics
by Truels Norby, Nature, April 2001, vol 410, pg 877.
- Power cells get warm
by Philip Ball, Nature Science Update, April 19, 2001.
- Some Like It Medium Hot
by R. John Davenport, ScienceNow, April 18, 2001.
- Novel fuel cell gets hot, but not by a lot
by Peter Weiss, Science News, April 21, 2001, vol 159, pg 247.
- Building a Better Fuel Cell
by Alan Leo, Technology Review, April 19, 2001.
- CalTech Claims New Type of Fuel Cell Developed
Reuters, EV World, April 18, 2001.
Publications by SAFCell Scientists
- From Laboratory Breakthrough to Technological Realization: The Development Path for Solid Acid Fuel Cells
by Calum R.I. Chisholm, Dane A. Boysen, Alex B. Papandrew, Strahinja Zecevic, SukYal Cha, , Aron Varga, Konstantinos P. Giapis, and Sossina M. Haile, The Electrochemical Society Interface, Fall 2009.
- Solid acid proton conductors: from laboratory curiosities to fuel cell electrolytes
by Sossina M. Haile, Calum R.I. Chisholm, Kenji A. Sasaki, Dane A. Boysen and Tetsuya Uda, The Royal Society of Chemistry Faraday Discussions, 2007, 134.
- Alcohol Fuel Cells at Optimal Temperatures
by Tetsuya Uda, Dane A. Boysen, Calum R.I. Chisholm, and Sossina M. Haile, Electrochemical Society Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 9 (2006)
- Thin-Membrane Solid-Acid Fuel Cell
by Tetsuya Uda and Sossina M. Haile, Electrochemical Society Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 8 (2005)
- High-Performance Solid Acid Fuel Cells Through Humidity Stabilization
by Dane A. Boysen, Tetsuya Uda, Calum R.I. Chisholm, and Sossina M. Haile, Science, January 2, 2004, vol 303, pg 68.
- Solid acids as fuel cell electrolytes
by Sossina M. Haile, Dane A. Boysen, Calum R.I. Chisholm, and Ryan Merle, Nature, April 19, 2001, vol 410, pg 910.